This Gnocchi Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale is one big warm hug in a bowl. It’s a meatless soup chock full of cubed butternut squash, kale, tinned tomatoes, fennel, and mini potato gnocchi.
Although made with chicken broth, you can substitute with any vegetable broth of your choice. And, you’ll have a perfectly delicious vegetarian or even vegan soup.
If you’re looking for a hearty meatless soup then look no further than this chunky vegetable soup with mini potato gnocchi. And it’s without half-and-half or any other type of cream.
It’s a soul-satisfying winter soup that’s become a true family favourite and so so easy to make. Especially when you have pre-packaged store bought gnocchi on hand.
These store bought gnocchi are perfect in this soup as they hold their shape without getting mushy.
And, should you have any leftovers, it refrigerates beautifully while keeping the gnocchi firm.
Ingredients for Gnocchi Soup with Chicken Broth
- Mini gnocchi – Sold pre-packaged in the pasta section of your local grocery store.
- Chicken Broth – Or vegetable broth. Look for low sodium broth so you can control the salt intake.
- Kale – First remove the tough rib part of the kale then wash, spin dry and chop finely.
- Butternut Squash – You will only need 2 cups of peeled and diced butternut squash for this recipe. But go ahead and cut the whole butternut squash. Then simply measure out the quantity needed for your soup and freeze the rest for future use.
- Fennel – I usually use the stems and fronds of a fennel bulb for soups. However, you can easily substitute with celery instead.
- Tinned diced tomatoes – Sold in 14 ounce tins. You can substitute with tinned cherry tomatoes or an equal amount of fresh diced tomatoes.
How To Make Gnocchi, Butternut Squash and Kale Soup
Step One: Heat the oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven.
Add in the butternut squash, tomatoes, fennel, onions, garlic and a dash of salt and pepper.
Step Two: Sauté the veggies, while stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
Stir in the chopped kale and sauté for another 2 minutes or until wilted.
Step Three: Pour in some of the chicken broth and stir well to release the caramelized bits around the cooked veggies. Then pour in the remaining chicken broth and stir well.
Step Four: Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat, stir in the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions.
Be sure to stir the gnocchi well so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
To serve, ladle the gnocchi and vegetable soup into bowls and garnish with some freshly chopped kale and top with grated cheese if you wish.
Or simply omit the cheese for a dairy free version.
Will Gnocchi Get Soggy in a Soup?
Store bought, pre-packaged potato gnocchi are far firmer than the homemade fresh gnocchi and hold up well in a soup without getting mushy or soggy. That’s the reason I always use the ones sold at my local supermarket when making this vegetarian gnocchi soup recipe.
They’re also wonderful to have on hand in your pantry for those days when you crave a quick and hearty soup for busy weeknights.
How to Reheat Gnocchi Butternut Squash and Kale Soup
Any leftover gnocchi soup can quickly and easily be reheated in the microwave for a few minutes.
You can also reheat this soup on your stove top or oven.
However, when reheating in the oven or stove top, make sure there’s enough liquid in the pot. Because, as the soup chills in the fridge, the gnocchi will thicken the soup. And, you’ll want to make sure there’s enough liquid in the soup so it doesn’t scorch.
It’s that simple!
If you’re into easy and flavourful soups during cold winter days you may also want to try an Italian stracciatella soup with cute little meatballs that both kids and grownups adore!
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Gnocchi Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fennel or celery
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dash salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 500 grams mini potato gnocchi
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven on medium-low heat.
- Add in the butternut squash, tomatoes, fennel, onions, garlic and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Sauté the vegetables for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally, till the butternut squash is fork tender.
- Stir in the chopped kale and sauté for another 2 minutes, till wilted.
- Add in the chicken stock a little at a time, while stirring well to release the caramelized bits around the cooked veggies.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the and add in the gnocchi. Stir well, while taking care that they don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook according to package directions which is usually 2 minutes.
- Plate and serve with a sprinkle of finely chopped kale and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese if desired.