A wonderful and colourful Apple Walnut Kale Salad that is packed with nutrients and makes a striking side dish to fish, poultry or any other meat dish.
Have you made any New Year’s resolutions yet?
I haven’t! Mostly because…well…they simply never seem to stick! My resolutions had always revolved around food. Eating healthier, exercising more or at the very least trying to be more active.
And I know I’m not alone here especially if your own resolutions revolve around healthier eating habits as well. If so then you’ll appreciate this easy to make Apple Walnut Kale Salad!
It’s utterly delicious and a welcome reprieve from all the holiday baking!
The main ingredient in this nutrient packed salad is kale, the king of all greens.
I’ve combined thinly sliced crispy red apples for a little sweetness and some toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds for a delightful crunch.
For a slight contrast in colour, I’ve added slivers of radicchio and red onion slices.
Tossed with a simple vinaigrette of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a little salt and pepper for one glorious delicious salad.
I can’t sing the praises high enough for toasted walnuts or any other nut for that matter! That wonderful aroma from freshly toasted walnuts to their crunchy nutty bite gets me every single time!
Often enough I find myself secretly hiding stashes of roasted nuts simply so they’re on hand when needed in a recipe.
There’s really no recipe required here. You can toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F., until fragrant and they take on the appearance of a slightly darker shade.
Or, you can pan toast them on the stove top which is a little quicker but requires more attention. No distractions allowed here!
HOW TO TRIM AND PREP KALE FOR APPLE WALNUT SALAD
Trimming kale is really quite simple.
You’ll need a cutting board a pairing knife and a flat surface to work on of course.
Simply lay the leaf flat on the cutting board and with the pairing knife carve away the rib with the hard fibrous stem and discard.
Chop the kale leaves and rinse in a colander under cool running water.
Spin the leaves dry in a salad spinner and use in your favourite salad, soup or any other yummy dishes. So simple, right?
Cheers to a wonderful, blessed year to all dear readers!
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Apple Walnut Kale Salad
- 10 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup sliced radicchio
- 2 red crispy apples thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to your taste
- Remove the rib with the hard fibrous stem from the kale leaves and discard both the stem and rib.
- Chop the kale leaves into small pieces.
- Rinse the kale leaves, spin them dry in a salad spinner and transfer the kale to a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle just a little bit of extra virgin olive oil over the chopped kale and massage in with clean hands.
- Rinse the radicchio leaves, pat dry and slice into thin strips then set aside with the kale.
- Wash the apples under cold water then dry and cut into thin slices. Transfer to the salad bowl.
- Add the sliced red onions, both the toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds to the salad bowl.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Toss with the kale mixture, plate, serve and enjoy to your hearts content!