Turn fresh egg pasta into irresistible Sweet Crispy Easter Pasta Nests which are deep fried till golden brown and drizzled with honey and then topped with candy coated chocolate Easter eggs.
Pasta not only makes a comforting first course meal but also can be transformed into a rather playful dessert.
Italians have been making various types of pasta desserts for centuries and this comes as no surprise considering the love we all share for the ever popular noodle.
You can actually give your children permission to play with their food by involving them in shaping these pasta nests. These fun treats are incredibly easy to put together however you may want to keep the young ones away from the hot oil.
I used fresh egg fettuccine pasta to make this sweet treat however any other fresh long strand of pasta would work as well. It’s almost a non recipe as there is no mixing, beating or kneading involved here. You simply take 3 fresh strands of pasta noodles, twirl it around your index and middle fingers to shape the nests.
You’ll want to have all your pasta nests readily shaped before you start dunking them in the hot oil. This allows you to fully concentrate on frying them once they are all assembled. All that’s left to do afterwards is a simple drizzle of your favorite honey and then top with the candy coated Easter eggs. Pretty simple and straight forward right?
Some of my pasta nests turned out to look a little bit like an alien gone mad but I assure you it was quite a delicious docile alien…lol!
While other’s were perfect little nests simply waiting to cradle the candy coated Easter eggs.
Although the chocolate Easter eggs adds a festive appeal to the pasta nests, chopped pistachios or any other favorite nut would also work here. In addition you can infuse the honey with brandy however as a result this would make them strictly adult-friendly.
Plain honey is delicious enough on its own but since I had a jar of lemon honey in my pantry that is what I used.
You need not look any further then your own pantry for some easy and truly yummy pasta treats. My family thoroughly enjoyed these sweet crispy Easter pasta nests and devoured them in no time at all. They will most certainly be making a reappearance for Easter Sunday.
Sweet Crispy Easter Pasta Nests
- 200 grams fresh egg fettuccine or tagliatelle
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 cup of warm honey I used organic lemon honey
- Mini candy coated chocolate Easter eggs I used 3 per pasta nest
- Have 2 baking sheets nearby.
- Using 3 strands of pasta at a time, twirl between your index and middle fingers shaping into a nest.
- Carefully place the pasta nest onto the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining fresh pasta.
- In a sauce pot, heat about 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees. (use a thermometer)
- Carefully drop in the pasta nests, frying 3 at a time until they are light golden brown in color.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a tray lined with paper towels to drain.
- Continue frying the remaining pasta nests.
- Arrange the fried pasta nests on a serving platter and drizzle them with warm honey.
- Place 3 candy coated chocolate Easter eggs onto each nest.
- Keep the pasta nests covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve.