Crespella with Nutella, thin Italian pancakes very similar to french crepes. They can be rolled up, folded or even stacked together with either a savory or sweet filling.
For all the nutella lovers who are looking for yet another way to enjoy their favorite chocolate hazelnut spread, you are going to love this recipe because of the ease in which it comes together. You can turn just a few simple ingredients into something so delicious and spectacular looking that will surely please every member of your family.
You don’t need a special crepe pan to make this crespella, any 12 inch oven proof pan will do. Here the gooey, creamy chocolate spread is drizzled over an oven baked crespella, with a tender middle and crispy edges and no flipping required!
This recipe is my favorite way to use up Quebec strawberries which are exquisitely sweet and full of flavor. Hurry up and get yours though because the strawberry season in Quebec is winding down. In a pinch you can substitute your favorite berries, bananas or better yet a combination of both.
It is quite impressive when it comes out of the oven with its edges all puffed up. I find it has a rustic appeal and yet it is elegant enough for special company. When I lived in the country up in the Laurentians we had patches of wild strawberries growing roadside that stretched for miles and miles. The fruits looked like miniature versions of the store bought strawberries. Whenever my nieces would come up and stay for the weekend we would trek down the hill to gather bowls full of these sweet little berries to serve alongside our crespella. All the more delicious enjoyed with their company. 🙂
- ¾ all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups of strawberries, sliced
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Nutella Sauce:
- ½ cup nutella
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Place a 12 inch ovenproof pan in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 450*F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, milk and whisk all ingredients together.
- When the oven reaches 450*F add the butter to your pan and heat in the oven till the butter turns golden, for about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. The crespella will puff up and look golden brown when ready.
- While the crespella bakes in the oven, whisk together the nutella and 3 tablespoon of milk until smooth. The nutella sauce should have a nice drizzling consistency, if not simply add a little more milk.
- When ready place the pan on a rack and let the crespella cool for about 5 minutes. It will quickly start to sink (and that is ok). Dust with icing sugar, place the strawberries over the crespella and drizzle with the nutella sauce. Beautiful 🙂