This Crespella with Nutella recipe is an Italian oven baked pancake filled with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. It makes a perfect weekend indulgent breakfast or even brunch!
When we lived in the country, up in the Laurentians, we had these patches of wild strawberry bushes growing roadside which stretched for miles and miles.
The fruits looked like miniature versions of the store bought strawberries. They were also way smaller and sweeter than the more cultivated strawberries sold at markets today.
Whenever my nieces would come up and stay for the weekend we would happily trek down the hill to gather bowls full of these sweet little berries to serve alongside our crespella. All the more delicious enjoyed with their company!
What is a Crespella
A crespella is simply the Italian version of a french crêpe.
They can be rolled up, folded or even stacked together with either a savoury or sweet filling.
You don’t need a special crêpe pan to make this crespella. In fact any 12 inch oven proof pan will do.
This Italian crêpe recipe is my favourite way to use up Quebec strawberries which are exquisitely sweet and full of flavour.
In a pinch you can use any other favourite fruit of yours.
How to make an Italian Crespella with Nutella
For all the Nutella lovers who are looking for yet another way to enjoy their favourite chocolate hazelnut spread, you’re going to love this recipe.
You can turn just a few simple ingredients into something so delicious and spectacular looking that will surely please every member of your family.
And with this oven baked crespella, with its tender middle and crispy edges, no flipping is required!
So first, let’s start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
If the handles of your frying pan are not oven proof, no worries! You can simply wrap the handles with aluminum paper to protect them.
While the oven preheats, mix all your ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
Add the butter to the pan and allow to melt in the preheated oven.
Once the butter has melted, carefully pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
The crêpe will puff up prettily as it bakes and very impressively I might add. Much like a dutch baby pancake.
But once it’s removed from the oven it quickly deflates, creating a crevice to hold all the fresh juicy berries.
I find it has such a rustic appeal all on its own. However, once dusted with powdered sugar…then filled with berries…and topped with a drizzle of warm Nutella…it’s elegant enough for special company!
Nutella Drizzle for Crêpes
Warm the Nutella by heating it up in the microwave in 15 second intervals, until you achieve a drizzling consistency.
Alternately you can also thin it out by stirring some milk into it. Try it with a teaspoon at a time until you get a drizzling consistency.
I would not use almond milk as it has a high water content and might seize the chocolate.
You can serve this Italian crespella for breakfast, brunch or for just about anytime you need a quick and fuss free dessert!
More berry goodness recipes:
This recipe was originally published July 15, 2015 and republished June 3, 2020 with updated content and photos.
Crespella with Nutella and Berries
- 3/4 all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier liquor or brandy
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups of fresh berries strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1/2 cup nutella heated for drizzling (see notes below)
- Place a 12 inch ovenproof pan in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 450*F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, milk and whisk all ingredients together.
- When the oven reaches 450*F add the butter to your pan and heat in the oven till the butter turns golden, for about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. The crespella will puff up and look golden brown when ready.
- When ready place the pan on a rack and let the crespella cool for about 5 minutes. It will quickly start to sink (and that is ok).
- Dust with powdered sugar, place the mixed berries over the crespella and drizzle with the warm Nutella.