I have come to realize that I have not yet shared a vegetable recipe here on the blog before! So let me remedy that with these supper easy, Parmesan crusted potatoes with asparagus. It is a rather simple dish which features just a few ingredients that can be prepared on a busy weeknight. It is just wonderful served alongside steak, chicken or even fish. Or go vegetarian by topping the roasted vegetables with a fried egg. Yummy!!
These Parmesan crusted potatoes with asparagus are oven roasted to a golden brown perfection. Topping the vegetables with grated Parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes of roasting time, develops a delicious crunchy crust which imparts another layer of goodness to the vegetables.
My family is a huge potatoes fan…like really huge!! My mom was never able to prepare enough potatoes to satisfy everyone at family gatherings! We would often find ourselves wrestling each other at the diner table for mom’s roasted potatoes. For some reason, unbeknownst to us, my nephew Gab would end up with most of them on his plate! Go figure!
I used a delicious combination of red, yellow and blue little creamer potatoes or better known as pommes de terre grelots here in Quebec. They are thin skinned, buttery and nutritious and also pair so well with the fresh asparagus.
If you can’t find creamer potatoes in your area, any other baby potatoes will do. Just remember to cut them into equal sizes so they cook evenly.
Lining a baking sheet with parchment paper will ensure that the potatoes do no stick to the pan and…easy clean up!
Toss the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes out in a single layer, giving them room to brown and bake for 20 minutes.
When ready to add the asparagus to the pan toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and nestle them between the potatoes and bake 15 minutes more. (if your asparagus stalks are bigger, you may need to bake them longer.)
Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes. The cheese will melt and develop a golden brown crust over the vegetables. Simply delicious!
I would love to hear from you!
If you make my Parmesan crusted potatoes with asparagus, take a photo and hashtag marisasitalinkitchen on Instgram.
You can also connect with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
- 1½ pounds grelots potatoes (or any baby potatoes of your choice cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ½ pound asparagus, tips trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup, grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread on the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Using the same bowl, toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan with potatoes from the oven and flip the potatoes over.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and bake along side the potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden in spots.