Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Salami is a perfect no bake treat to offset the craziness that holiday baking can sometimes add to our long “to do list” during this busy time of the year!
This chocolate salami is made with 70% dark chocolate. It’s also studded with pistachios, crushed amaretti cookies and some plump amaretto soaked cherries. There is so much to love about this special dessert!
The long cylinder shape of this popular sweet treat has only a physical resemblance to an actual salami, I assure you!
When you slice it through you’re given a sneak peak inside this no bake dessert. Each chocolaty disk beautifully showcasing bright pieces of pistachios and crispy bits of crushed amaretto cookies with flecks of boozy soaked dried cherries.
You’ll find many variations to this delightful treat and you can just as easily adapt it to suit your very own tastes.
Ingredients for Chocolate Salami
- 70% dark chocolate
- Amaretti cookies
- dried charries
- Amaretto Liqueur
- Powdered sugar
If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate then no worries! This is your playing field so simply substitute the dark chocolate with semi-sweet chocolate and add any nut or a combination of nuts that you prefer.
The amaretto cookies can also be substituted with any dry crunchy cookie of your choice.
Choose one that would retain its crispiness when stirred into the melted chocolate. Having said that, I’m not sure how those soft spongier cookies would hold up in this dessert due to their high absorption capacity.
I had always made this type of dessert using mini multi coloured marshmallows when my kids were much younger but of course with no liqueur! Those were much easier to slice due to its different texture from the soft marshmallows.
I find that roughly chopping the nuts and the dried soaked cherries yields cleaner disc shaped slices.
A better tip would be when rolling the chocolate mixture into logs. As you’re rolling and shaping the logs you’ll also want to compress them in order to release any air bubbles. This will avoid much breakage when slicing.
These yummy slices make a delightful no bake treat to add to any holiday cookie platter!
If making these Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Salami, remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Salami
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur or substitute with orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 340 grams 70% dark chocolate you can also use semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- 100 grams amaretto cookies crushed into small pieces (roughly 1 cup, crushed)
- 1/3 cup of icing sugar for rolling the salami
- Heat the amaretto liquor in a small microwave safe bowl for about 15 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the dried cherries then set aside to allow the cherries to plump and soften for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with about an inch of water and bring to a low simmer.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place the chocolate alongside the butter in a heat proof bowl and place the bowl over the saucepan. (make sure to use a bowl slightly bigger then the saucepan so that it does not touch the simmering water)
- Stir occasionally while the chocolate and butter melt.
- As the chocolate melts, drain the cherries and chop into small pieces.
- Once the chocolate and butter has melted remove the bowl from the heat.
- Stir in the pistachios, crushed cookies and chopped cherries into the chocolate mixture.
- Divide the mixture evenly onto 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Fold one end of the waxed paper over while rolling and shaping into logs of about 2 inches in diameter.
- Twist ends like a candy wrapper.
- Wrap the rolls in aluminum foil and chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and keeping the salami in the foil, roll and shape the logs while compressing it slightly to release any air bubbles.
- Return the logs to the fridge and chill for 2 hours.
- Unwrap the logs and roll them in the icing sugar, rolling to coat all over.
- String up the salami with kitchen twine if you wish or simply slice into 1/4 slices and serve.
- Store in an airtight container, in a cool and dry place.