Your mornings have just gotten better with these flavorful, moist and delectable Pumpkin Apple Streusel muffins. They are made with coconut oil, partially sweetened with honey, studded with chopped apples and topped with a lovely cinnamon streusel.
This recipe came about after baking this showstopping Pumpkin Cake Roll for our Canadian Thanksgiving and having extra pumpkin puree. Usually I find myself freezing any of the leftover pumpkin puree for a later use.
However, with a fridge drawer bursting at the seams with juicy and crispy Lobo apples, these pumpkin apple streusel muffins were screaming to be baked.
Feel free to use any baking apple of your choice in this recipe. Some rather excellent choices to consider are Cortland, Empire, McIntosh, and the Honeycrisp just to name a few.
I got really excited testing and retesting this recipe for you all! My kitchen was filled with the warm aromas of Fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. There is just something so comforting about them and they make want to cozy up next to the fireplace with a cup of tea in one hand and a pumpkin apple streusel muffin in the other.
It bears mentioning that these muffins are fairly easy to make and no special equipment is required! All you will need are two mixing bowls, one for the dry ingredients, the other for the wet ingredients and with a light hand when stirring.
A perfect recipe for beginners…so simple, easy and yet packed full of delicious flavors. I dare you to eat just one!
They were in fact quite difficult for me to resist, especially while taking photos as the intoxicating aromas permeated the air around me. Just one bite had me doing the happy dance in my kitchen! Pure bliss!
So go ahead, bake a batch or two and have your own happy dance!
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 5 tablespoons, melted coconut oil (cooled)
- 1¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples (about 2 medium apples)
- Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter together in a small bowl. Using your hands, work the ingredients together till they resemble coarse crumbs. Refrigerate till ready to use.
- Grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the 2 large eggs, honey, coconut oil, pumpkin and whisk well.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture just until all the ingredients are moistened.
- Stir the apples into the batter mixture.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling up to ¾ full.
- Divide the streusal topping evenly over the muffins.
- Bake on the middle rack of preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffins are a golden brown and the tops spring back lightly to the touch.
- You can also insert a wooden skewer in the middle to test if the muffins are done. If the skewer comes out clean then the muffins are ready.