Easy Zucchini Glazed Spaghetti, a truly brilliant medley utilizing one of summer’s favourite squashes. A simple combo of zucchini and spaghetti, partially cooked in zucchini water delivering a wonderfully lustrous, easy and utterly delicious meal!
This is one beautiful pasta and vegetable dish that truly delights!
It’s both pleasing to the eye with shreds of vibrant green flecks of the delicate zucchini squash. This pasta dish screams summer in the sun!
Not much of the zucchini goes to waste when preparing this meal and its virtually fuss free! Which means less time in the kitchen. Aren’t you loving it already?
Actually the most effort required when preparing this meal is in grating the zucchini. You may want to be careful with your box grater though…just saying!
After grating the zucchini, its placed in a colander with a few flavourful add ins and set aside for an hour. This allows the zucchini to release all its delicious juices. But we’re not throwing out the green juice. The juice is then used to finish cooking the pasta which yields a lovely glossy sauce.
The raw shreds of zucchini are then tossed with the pasta to complete the dish. Then, all that’s needed is a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Oh…and some cracked black pepper and red chilli flakes which certainly elevates the pasta to brilliant status!
You can fry some of the grated zucchini with a little olive oil and use it as a garnish if you’re so inclined. Its totally optional but does add a little contrast in texture.
It’s fuss free and with a few simple ingredients you’ll find your palate is never overwhelmed.
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Easy Zucchini Glazed Spaghetti
- 6 large zucchini
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 454 grams spaghetti
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Start off by lining a colander with a cheese cloth and then place it in a large bowl. (If you don't have a cheese cloth, a very fine meshed colander will work just as well.)
- Finely grate the zucchini on the smallest or second smallest holes of a cheese grater.
- Toss the grated zucchini with the garlic, salt, freshly ground pepper and chilli flakes.
- Place the zucchini mixture in the lined colander and set aside for 1 hour at room temperature. (As the zucchini sits in the colander it will slowly release its juices.)
- Squeeze out the zucchini to release its remaining juices and set both the liquids and the squeezed zucchini aside while you cook the pasta.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water for half the time indicated on the package.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Use the empty pasta pot to bring the zucchini juices to a boil.
- Add in the spaghetti while stirring occasionally just until the spaghetti is al dente.
- The pasta will absorb the juices as it finishes cooking while absorbing all its wonderful flavors.
- When ready toss the pasta with the grated zucchini, a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and the Parmesan cheese.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!