Cherry Granola Greek Yogurt Parfait makes a perfect breakfast alternative. And it’s equally delicious as a dessert or a simple anytime snack.
This parfait has a lovely contrast in textures from the smooth velvety soft yogurt. It is scented with cardamom and sweetened with honey with crunchy bites of almond and cherry granola.
Greek yogurt has got to be my new favourite type of yogurt, since testing and sampling recipes from the Yogurt Every Day Cookbook.
I’ve grown to love its thick creaminess which I find has the same soft and luscious consistency of a Dairy Queen ice-cream.
Before that, the only kind of yogurt one would find in my house was the sweetened fruit filled one. You all the know the one I’m referring to.
The kind packed with sweetened fruit at the bottom and topped with plain yogurt which you’d stir together just before devouring it. My absolute favourite was the cherry yogurt!
This Cherry Granola Greek Yogurt Parfait is partially inspired by Hubert Cormier’s Yogurt Every Day Cookbook and my favourite flavoured yogurt.
Have you ever made your own granola?
Homemade granola is far healthier than the store bought variety. Not only because its sweetened with honey, a natural sweetener but also because you get to control the amount of sweetness used.
It’s super easy to make and the best part…you can mix and match the flavours to suit your tastes. Such as your favourite dried fruits, nuts and seeds.
I’ve scented my granola with cardamon to compliment the cardamom in the yogurt mix. I’ve also added a touch of almond extract with the more usual vanilla extract.
The dried cherries add a lovely sweet bite. But they were added only after baking the granola because I didn’t want my dried fruit brick hard.
Next time around and I’ll soak the dried cherries first and bake alongside the other ingredients to see how that turns out.
It’s important to let them cool completely before breaking them apart and storing so that they retain their crunchiness.
However, at my house they really don’t last past the second day.
You’ll only need approximately one cup of granola to make this layered yogurt parfait and the rest can be enjoyed as a snack.
Try dividing the remaining granola in small individual ziplock bags for some fun and easy, grab-and-go snacks which kids will love.
I’ve topped my granola yogurt parfait with fresh cherries as a pretty visual appeal but that’s really entirely optional!
With very little fuss and a whole lot of flavour…there is much to love with this granola! And speaking of no fuss desserts, you might also enjoy my Ricotta Mousse with Strawberries Romanoff.
Cherry Granola Greek Yogurt Parfait
- FOR THE GRANOLA
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup almonds coarsely chopped or left whole
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- FOR THE YOGURT
- 1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 teaspoons honey
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat and set aside. ( I used an 11 x 17 size pan)
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the rolled oats, almonds, cardamon and salt.
- In a separate small bowl place the melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla and almond extracts then stir to combine.
- Pour the coconut mixture over the rolled oats mixture and stir well until all ingredients are combined.
- Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet in one single layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- After the first 5 minutes, give the granola a good stir.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the granola from the oven.
- Scatter the dried cherries over the granola and allow to cool completely before breaking into clusters and storing.
- Reserve approximately 1 cup of granola for the yogurt parfait.
- Store the remaining granola in an air tight container.
- YOGURT MIXTURE
- In a small bowl stir together the yogurt, cardamom and honey.
- ASSEMBLING THE YOGURT PARFAIT
- Layer 4 teaspoons of granola in each of 2 decorative glasses.
- Top with 3 tablespoons of yogurt mixture.
- Repeat with a second layer of granola and yogurt then sprinkle the tops with more granola.
- Garnish with fresh cherries if desired.