A one pan meal and virtually fuss free, this Zucchini Frittata with Feta Cheese is light, delicate and simply perfect for a quick lunch or dinner idea.
Got eggs? If so, then you essentially have the makings of a very good omelette, quiche or even an Italian Frittata.
Frittata, referred to an egg based dish is usually a combination of sautéed vegetables enhanced with some type of cheese and other optional ingredients.
It is the most quintessential way of using up vegetables that have seen better days! But its also an equally wonderful way of utilizing an abundance of home grown vegetables.
Unlike the thinner frittatas which I grew up with, this one is deliciously piled high with thin slices of one of summer’s best squashes.
They’re perfect in a frittata.
These thin slices of sautéed zucchini keep the frittata light, moist and somewhat creamy without the addition of cream.
But really the key ingredient to a fluffier frittata are well beaten eggs. Vigorously beaten eggs have more air incorporated into the mixture. This renders a deliciously moist and fluffy frittata.
For a little tang I’ve added some feta cheese into the mix. But you can just as easily replace the feta cheese with some ricotta salata.
I’ve also topped the frittata with sweet cherry tomatoes for a lovely contrast in colour. And coupled them with a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese for extra goodness.
This zucchini frittata with feta cheese is splendid in its simplicity and makes for a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea. All thats needed to complete the meal is a side salad of your favourite greens. And lets not forget the vino! Just saying…!
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Zucchini Frittata with Feta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- fine sea salt to your taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to your taste
- 8 large eggs vigorously beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons feta cheese crumbled
- 6 cherry tomatoes quartered
- Heat the olive oil in an 8 or 10 inch non-stick, ovenproof sauté pan.
- Add in the sliced zucchini, chopped onions, garlic, fresh mint and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until the zucchini and onion have softened, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a medium sized bowl, vigorously whisk together the eggs with a little salt and pepper to your taste.
- Stir the cooked zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese into the egg mixture.
- Return the egg and zucchini mixture back into the oven proof sauté pan and top with the sliced cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese.
- Cook on medium low heat until the edges firm up and the top is still jiggly. About 10 minutes.
- Once the edges have firmed up, place the pan in the oven on the middle rack and broil for about 4 minutes or until the top is firm and golden brown.
- Use oven mitts to remove the pan from the oven and slice and serve while still warm.
- Serve alongside your favourite salad for a complete meal