A classic heart shaped Raspberry Linzer cookie filled with ruby red raspberry jam that will make your heart sing!
These heart shaped cookies have all the flavours of the original Linzer torte which is said to be the oldest cake in the world.
The Linzer torte, dating back to 1653 from Admont Abbey in Austria, is filled with just about any type of preserves and has a distinctive lattice pattern nestled over the jam.
These cookies have much of the appeal as a Linzer torte and are eye catching gorgeous! They’re crazy delicious and guaranteed to be snatched up in mere minutes.
They’re made with finely ground roasted hazelnuts which really compliment the raspberry jam. But you can also make them with almonds. Just remember to grind them really fine so that you have no problem pressing the cookie cutter through the dough.
How to Roast Hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes or just until they are fragrant and lightly golden with blistered skins.
Wrap them in a clean kitchen towel and rub to loosen the skins. It’s ok if you can’t get all the skins removed.
Let them cool completely before grinding them in a food processor. Then simply grind them to a super fine consistency.
How to Make Heart Shaped Linzer Cookies
How to Store Raspberry Linzer cookies
Nowadays, you’ll find many different shaped cookie cutters to suit all holidays or other special occasion. And you can use any shape and size cookie cutter that you like for this recipe.
These heart shaped cookie cutters are one of my absolute favourite shapes and find they add such a whimsical appeal to any cookie platter.
You’ll find they make a totally fun weekend project for the little ones in the house, but they’re just as pleasing to the older kids too!
Show some love in your next baking project with these elegant heart shaped linzer cookies!
Raspberry Linzer Cookie
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts finely ground
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar approximately
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, sugar and salt on medium speed till light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix until well combined.
- Beat in the flour until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the roasted hazelnuts.
- Divide the dough in half keeping one half covered with cling wrap while working with the other half.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Make heart shaped cutouts with the 3 inch cookie cutter.
- Use an off-set spatula to pry the cookies off the counter and gently transfer each cutout on the prepared cookie sheet.
- I place 12 cookies on each pan while spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- On one pan of cookies use the 2 inch cookie cutter to cut out the centre.
- Set aside the small cutouts to re-roll and shape more cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until the edges have browned slightly.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before you transfer on a cooling rack, to avoid any breakage.
- Repeat with the remaining ball of dough, rolling and cutting out the cookies until you have used up all the dough.
- When the cookies have cooled, spread some raspberry jam on the "whole" cookie, covering almost to the edge.
- Sift the powdered sugar on the cookies with the carved out centres and gently place them over the jam filled cookies.
- Transfer to a serving tray and enjoy with a steaming cup of tea.
This recipe was originally published February 13, 2015 and updated May 12 with updated content and photos.