Wonderfully delicious, lemon scented Amarena Wild Cherry Biscotti. A twice baked biscotti with a scattering of roasted salted pistachios are complimented with slivers of wild cherries bottled in syrup.
A little About Amarena Cherries
This is not a sponsored post but rather a product I enjoy very much!
For a truly memorable Italian experience, do try at least once the authentic Italian amarena cherry.
They are small, dark wild cherries which grow in the Bologna and Modena regions of Italy. Although somewhat bitter they have an incredibly deep cherry flavour.
These luscious cherries are bottled in syrup, masking their bitterness and making them perfect for home baking. They’re also equally wonderful for decorating desserts or garnishing drinks.
But really you can just as easily nibble on them whenever a craving hits for these bitter sweet jewels.
You can purchase these syrup soaked cherries at most Italian specialty shops or simply online.
Back To The Recipe
I fell in love with these cherries at first taste and I absolutely had too bake a batch of biscotti! They’re my go to treat whenever I’m craving a quick nibble to serve with coffee or tea.
As a switch up from the more standard almond and orange biscotti I usually bake, I chose pistachios to compliment the cherries. I also added the zest of a lemon to infuse a lovely citrus scent to the biscotti dough.
I baked the logs for 25 minutes, just until they are golden brown with a soft but firm touch.
After the initial first bake you’ll want them to cool for about 10 minutes. This will make slicing much easier and then you simply re-bake for an additional 15 minutes to allow them to crisp up.
They come out of the oven with a dark golden hue. They’re so irresistible that you’ll be biting into them before they even cool off!
You’ll find that they’re perfectly dunkable in your favourite hot beverage! They’re also quite tooth friendly and easily enjoyable simply as they are!
Enjoy the biscotti and happy baking my friends!
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Amarena Wild Cherry Biscotti
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped I used roasted and salted pistachios
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- lemon zest from 1 small lemon
- 3/4 cup amarena wild cherries drained and chopped
- 1 beaten egg white for brushing over biscotti
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder and pistachios in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Fold in the chopped Amarena cherries.
- Divide the biscotti dough in half.
- Dust your hands and work surface with flour and roll 1 portion at a time into a 12 inch log.
- Transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the biscotti logs with the beaten egg white.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the biscotti logs, one at a time, to a cutting board and slice diagonally to about 3/4 inch pieces.
- Repeat with the remaining log.
- Return the sliced biscotti to the baking sheet, stand them upright and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven, allow to cool and enjoy with your favourite hot beverage.