Mini Meatball Stracciatella Soup is an Italian classic and a family pleasing dish. Packed with shreds of eggs, cheese and parsley mixture and mini veal meatballs for a soul satisfying meal.
Stracciatella soup is basically an egg drop soup, referencing the shreds of egg mixture which is poured into a simmering broth and then stirred to form soft pillowy morsels.
A comfort food at best and one that was quite prominent during my childhood years, traditionally served at the start of our Christmas or Easter meal.
Of course growing up Italian, this type of soup was only a prelude to a more lavish 5 or even 6 course meal and generally mamma would serve it in very small portions.
Did you get your flu shot this year? Well…I kind of missed mine this year and so the nasty flu paid me a visit on Christmas Eve, showering me not with beautifully wrapped presents waiting to be opened. Rather, it sneaked upon me pretty quickly with its aches and chills and also spiking fever.
Not to mention the sleepless nights with a hacking cough that left my sides feeling soccer punched and weak for days! My voice was hoarse and non-existent. I could swear I saw the floor and the walls competing to switch places simply by walking from my bed to the couch.
All I can say is thank goodness for Netflix which helped to while away the hours! By the way I highly recommend “Stranger Things” if you have not yet seen it. Do watch it and then let me know what you think!
Enough rambling, lets get back to this yummy soup with these cute little meatballs that make a simple chicken broth so much happier!
Its pretty easy to make, packed with some delicious flavors and one of my all time favorites.
If you’re up to making your own chicken broth do so, otherwise use a good quality store bought brand.
I have a preference for tiny meatballs in my soups but you can also shape them bigger if you like. Just remember to let them simmer a little longer to compensate for the larger size.
Soups are always a saving grace during cold and flu season, providing enough sustenance to get us through the worst!
But there’s really only one other thing better then this Mini Meatball Stracciatella Soup when your feeling under the weather and that would be when someone else graciously makes for you!
So here it is dear Readers, from my kitchen to yours. Lets beat this nasty bug…and you’re most welcome!
If you make this recipe remember to tag @marisasitaliankitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Mini Meatball Stracciatella Soup
- FOR THE MINI MEATBALL SOUP
- 12 cups chicken broth I used store bought no added salt, fat free and gluten free
- 1 pound minced veal
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt I use fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley plus 1 tablespoon more for garnish
- FOR THE STRACCIATELLA
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crispy prosciutto pieces for garnish optional (see note)
- In a large bowl combine together the minced veal, beaten eggs, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, flour and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
- Mix well by hand and shape into tiny meatballs about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer and slowly add in the meatballs.
- Let the meatballs simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile whisk the stracciatella ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the meatballs are cooked through, slowly pour the stracciatella into the soup and then give it a gentle stir.
- Let simmer for one minute.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley, Parmesan cheese and crispy prosciutto pieces.