Stracciatella Soup with Mini Meatballs
Mini Meatball Stracciatella Soup is an Italian classic and a family pleasing dish. Packed with shreds of eggs, cheese and parsley mixture and mini veal meatballs for a soul satisfying meal.
For the Mini Meatballs
- 10 cups chicken broth I used store bought no added salt, fat free and gluten free
- 640 grams ground veal
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt I use fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs I used dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley plus 1 tablespoon more for garnish
For the Stracciatella: Egg Drop
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl combine together the minced veal, beaten eggs, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
Mix well by hand and shape into tiny meatballs about 1/2 inch in diameter. (rub your hands with some vegetable oil for easy rolling)
Bring the chicken broth to a simmer and slowly add in the meatballs.
Let the meatballs simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Skim any of the residual fat from the top of the broth.
Meanwhile whisk the stracciatella ingredients in a small bowl.
When the meatballs are cooked through, slowly pour the stracciatella into the soup and then give it a gentle stir.
Let simmer for one minute.
To serve, ladle into soup bowls and top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 256mg | Sodium: 784mg | Potassium: 752mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 455IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 3mg