Apple Cranberry Crisp
A quick and easy apple cranberry crisp with a nutty crumble, baked in two, 6 inch cast iron skillets.
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 1 cup large flake oats not instant
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup whole almonds chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries roughly chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples I used Cortland
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
For the topping, place the oats, sugar, almond flour, chopped almonds in a medium sized bowl. Add a pinch of nutmeg and stir well. Add the softened butter and use a fork or your hands to work in the butter to form a crumble. Set aside.
For the filling, toss together the chopped cranberries and sliced apples in a large bowl. Stir in both sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice until combined.
Divide the mixture between the two cast iron skillets. Mound the fruit high and press it gently together to compact. Sprinkle with the topping pressing gently again so that it adheres to the fruit. (Mixture will sink when baked)
Bake in a preheated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes. Topping should be a nice golden brown.