Kale Walnut Pesto with Spaghetti
Kale and Walnut Pesto with Spaghetti is a healthy and flavourful pasta dish. It's quick and easy to put together and simply perfect for any day of the week.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
- 2 cups kale (roughly chopped) rinsed, dried and firmly packed
- 1 cup Italian parsley (roughly chopped) Rinsed, dried and firmly packed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup walnuts lightly toasted
- lemon zest from one medium sized lemon
- lemon juice from one medium sized lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese freshly grated
- red chili pepper flakes 2 generous pinches
- salt and pepper to your taste
- 450 grams spaghetti
- 1 cup freshly toasted bread crumbs optional (see notes below)
Kale Walnut Pesto
Fill a large sauce pot with water and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, start making the kale pesto.
Place the kale, parsley, garlic, walnuts, both the zest and juice of a lemon and the olive oil in a large food processor.
Pulse until smooth.
Transfer the pesto to a small bowl and stir in the cheese, chili flakes and salt & pepper to your taste.
Set the pesto aside while you cook the pasta.
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Once the water boils, salt the water and cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
When the pasta is cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water then drain the spaghetti.
Return the pasta to the sauce pot and toss with approximately 1/2 cup of pesto and the reserved pasta water.
Taste the pasta and add additional pesto if needed or simply to your liking.
Plate and serve with a dab of pesto, some extra cheese, a sprinkle of chilli pepper and toasted breadcrumbs if using.
You can store any remaining pesto for up to a week in the fridge.
Or freeze up to 1 month.
Use your favourite bread, crust removed and chopped into small pieces (approximately 1 cup).
Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the breadcrumbs.
Toast the crumbs while tossing frequently for about 5 minutes or until the crumbs turn golden brown.