Vegan Eggplant Pockets
These vegan eggplant pockets make an easy and delicious side dish. They can also be served as a first coarse meal over a bed of arugula or baby romaine.
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs made without eggs
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I used fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 16 eggplant slices cut 1/4 inch thick
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium size bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, tomato, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, parsley, garlic, raisins, pine nuts and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Set aside.
Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the remaining extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle both sides with the remaining salt.
Place half of the eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet.
Spoon the bread mixture evenly over the slices and top with the remaining eggplant slices.
Bake in 450*F degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning once or until the slices are a light golden brown on each side.