Orecchiette with Rapini and Sausage
A quick and easy delicious pasta dish topped with freshly toasted bread crumbs that's perfect for any day of the week.
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup plain fresh bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to your taste
- 1 large bunch of rapini cut into 2 inch pieces
- 500 grams Orecchiette pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage mild or strong (casing removed)
- 3 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Parmegiano-Reggiano cheese grated
Heat the 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a small frying pan over medium low heat.
Add in the breadcrumbs and season with the salt and pepper and toast the bread crumbs for about 6 to 8 minutes or until they turn a deep golden brown. Stir often so that they don't burn then set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt generously.
Add the Orecchiette to the boiling water and stir well.
Cook according to package instructions while stirring occasionally.
Three minutes before the end of cooking time, add in the chopped rapini and stir gently.
While the pasta cooks heat the 1/3 cup of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium low heat.
Add in the sausage (with casing removed), minced garlic, onion, red pepper and chili flakes.
Cook while stirring and breaking up the sausage meat with a wooden spoon for about 7 to 10 minutes or until the sausage is nicely browned.
Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
When the orechiette is ready, drain the pasta with rapini, toss it with the cooked sausage mixture and stir well.
Turn off the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
Plate and serve the paste with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and extra cheese if desired.
Top with a generous sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs .
Serve while still warm and enjoy!