Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Apples are a perfect medley of sweet and savory. Combined together, you’ll find they compliment any fish or poultry dish while providing a unique and delicious way of teasing your taste buds.
Roasting potatoes alongside another vegetable or even in this case combined with apples, is my favorite way of serving up the yummy spud.
These distinctive crescent shaped and thin skinned fingerling potatoes are a perfect match with a great baking apple such as the Cortland or Empire. Really though, any apple that holds its shape when baked will do for that matter. However, I wouldn’t use the McIntosh as this variety gets mushy and falls apart when roasted.
Also, look for apples with bright red skins that will provide a lovely contrast to the more palish yellow skin of the fingerling potato.
Keeping the seasonings to a few simple ingredients allows a nice balance between sweet and savory.
Aside from the customary salt and pepper, I added dried organic mountain oregano which I use quite often when making any kind of roast. You can purchase the dried stalks whole and keep in plastic bags for months since these retain their natural fragrances and pair brilliantly with meats or vegetables.
All that’s then needed is a generous drizzle of good quality olive oil and a few squirts of fresh lemon juice to make the flavors pop.
Add a little love to your next meal with a side dish of Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Apples and enjoy with your family and friends!
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Apples
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 medium red apples cored and cut into wedges ( I used Cortland apples )
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano I used an organic brand
- fine sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper (for easy cleanup).
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat all over.
- Transfer the potato and apple mix to the prepared sheet pan while spreading them out in a single layer.
- You'll want to leave some space between the potatoes and apples so that they roast beautifully.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, turning the slices over after 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy while still warm.